Thursday, June 19, 2008

Opera 9.5 - Lightning fast and more


It was with a huge frustration that I made a post saying I would not touch this browser again but right from that post till date I haven't let go of this as the speed is just ubelievably fast and also some of the things I mentioned about stumble, imdb, I am not using them much now, so no reason to complain. I do have alternatives for it like OperaStumbler which does the same job albeit a bit differently. I wonder why folks at Stumble made one such yet...

So what's the point in posting now you might ask me. What irked me off with opera was it's inability to handle blogs. For sometime while editing everything runs smooth and then all of a sudden the scroll bar that appears on the right vanishes and the letters start going out of the screen. As it is blog for me is such a painful activity, now with a thing like that it just puts me off, so all the while I used to blog either in firefox or in IE. It wasn't until yesterday while making certain edits for my Dasavtharam post I discovered one amazing thing ability of Opera 9.5 - IT WORKS!!!!

I am blogging this with 9.5. Yipppie!!!!!!Apart from the interface looks stylish topped with black contours with glassy interface it is one amazing upgrade. It is faster than ever before, just try checking your mails in Opera and IE and notice the difference, Speed Dial, and the best thing I discovered (it's been there for long though...) is the abilitiy to navigate with the mouse. Right-Click your mouse and move the scroll button in the middle up or down, didn't you notice something like the one show on the right. For someone who has say 10 - 12 tabs open this is a very very handy interface. And how in the world can I not mention about Sessions. IT's like this. Suppose you are searching on something and start opening up multiple tabs and browsers. You got what you want but are unsure from which set of links you have obtained or you want to do something else now and at the same time don't want to delete all the tabs that you painstakingly have combed the web and brought up. What do you do then ? Simple go to File-> Sessions->Save this Session and give any name you want. Close all the present ones and start your slate clean. I use this a lot of all the things that Opera offers. I know it's comes with some add-ons in firefox but it just can't beat this , upon start you can even SELECT which session you want to open the browser with. And last if not the least it's paste and go...go..go..go.... no more explanation on that...

All in all I am mightily impressed with the folks at Opera who have done a marvelous job in redesigning the browser with all the little tweaks still intact.

Watch out for some more tech reviews and tips coming from Yossarain stable...

1 comment:

Rajiv said...

Karthik this is Mihir.I am no more on IMDB.
Please contact me at:

mihirpa@hotmail.com

or

mihir.seth@gmail.com

Regards