Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Configuring Laptop

(Tickets are booked. Date is confirmed. Understood so far??? Read these first...)

(a.k.a) Quinn's Quest For Laptop - III

This actually can be read a stand alone but would be better if you want to get into the groove of things if you read the series.Looks like 7th is when I would have the chance to put my hands on my most awaited priceless possession ( beating HP7) and my delay would only jeopardize the series. Actually this idea of writing what I am going to do once I have system is because of a blog on "What will I do after I format my desktop? " by some guy. It was an fascinating read and quite a fun too because I can actually feel myself telling : " Man...That's exactly what I do...".Well this ain't a desktop I know but still I guess one can relate to it. Okay..here goes my: Operation Laptop...



Operation Laptop


Phase I : Security
  1. Run MCPR.exe - a uninstaller tool by McAfee to clean uninstall the mcafee product. (As I am getting one with a trial period of 30 days and no way in hell am I going to renew it...).
  2. Install AVG Anti-virus latest version.
  3. Use Norton Partition Magic 8.05 to partition my disk. (Desktopers can skip this step).
  4. Install Commodo Firewall Pro - the best one there is in my honest opinion.
  5. Spybot Search & Destroy - a must have to remove the spyware...

Phase II : Tools & Utitlities

  1. Microsoft Office 2003
  2. TuneUp Utilities 2007
  3. Nero 7.1 Professional
  4. WinRar 3.71 Final
  5. Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.0
  6. Mozilla Firefox 2.0
  7. Opera 9.1
  8. Picasa Web
  9. Typing Master...Always wanted this to learn numbers...let's see if I can...
  10. TweakUIPowerToy for Windows XP Only...
  11. LimeWirePro 4.31
  12. Azureus - Far far better compared to BitTorrent, UTorrent, eDonkey

Phase III: Audio & Video

  1. Real Player 10.0 - darn thing needed for once in a blue moon rm files...nevertheless have to have it.
  2. VLC MediaPlayer
  3. DivX 7.0 Bundle

Phase IV : .Net

  1. Visual Studio 2005 Professional
  2. SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition- Evaluation for developers
  3. SilverLight Extension

Of the list I have missed out WindowBlinds , a stardock product which will be phased out shortly depending upon the impact on the laptop. Chitti, were he to see this list, would almost cut half the softwares and he feels they are just waste of OS space and RAM space but I guess I have to convince him to see the beauty of these apps. After all this what would be left is the actual files I need to keep.

The following movies have to be on my HDD:

  • My Neighbour Totoro
  • Grave of the Fireflies
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Spirited Away
  • Laputa - Castle in the Sky (basically all Miyazaki's collection)
  • Akira
  • Requiem For a Dream
  • Fight Club
  • Dil Chahta Hai
  • Sarfarosh
  • Athadu

And some more along with all the photos and all the books and all the video tutorials...ooph..one heck of a job left to be done....And what I am eagerly awaiting is to see the performance of my laptop after doing all this....

Well that ends it....

(Stay tuned to see the actual THING ...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious - is "Yossarain" a misspelling of "Yossarian" (from Catch 22) or a clever bit of word-play I didn't get?

yossarain said...

It ain't no misspelling it is just that I knew "Yossarian" would be so popular not to leave a space for me to have an id and push me to have one with _'s and numbers. So I just shuffled around a bit.