Monday, November 26, 2007

Quinn's Quest For Laptop - II

Now that I got back to my senses the first thing I did was go to the Dell US site as I see that third world countries are uniformly snubbed out of "chat live" feature, an exceptional feature. I mean of course the toll free helpline numbers exist but any given time I would love to chat than talk.

One of my frustrations with Dell was XP option was completely wiped out with many models and I desperately wanted one. For this the dell fella proved to be hellava help. Not only that he also informed me about becoming "dell care customer", a one step sign in process, with which one can avail further 3% discount. Most importantly I learnt I can partition the disk with no issues at all. Prior to this talking Joy had told me some laptops especially dell ones can't be partitioned at all and with all my 6 year download-install-format experience I knew how important partitions are. Without any exception I make it a point to store all my files anywhere except C:.



There was something else running on my mind. Few months before when Hrithik was configuring his laptop Ranjit had strongly suggested him to go for 9 cell and a matter of 2 grand is worth every rupee. I called up Joy again and had a series of talks with him starting with the time of delivery, the warranty period, and also about the batteries. Somehow I feel he has the air of authenticity in what he talks and he talks no crap I tell you. I must have called him up like 5 to 6 times to talk about the same topic again and again i.e. the batteries, will it be worth it? Can I not wait? Will it not be heavy? Can I compromise? . Thanks buddy, I really admire patient people and you are the best. The twist of the story is : I had to compromise on 6-Cell (money problem :( )

Ok..here goes my final config list and I am freaking happy about it and the cost could have been much much lesser if not for Core 2 Duo instead of Dual Core...

  • Midnight Blue
  • Processor – Intel Core 2 Duo T5250
  • Operating System- Genuine Windows XP Professional
  • Memory – 2GB
  • Hard Drive – 160 GB
  • Internal Optical Drive- CD/DVD Writer

What follows next in the series is highly technical, stuff about what softwares I am going to install..Watch out!!!!!!!

No comments: