Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Quinn's Quest For Laptop - I




(Note: Please Read this for continuity)

Now that I knew I needed to have one, the next question was which one to take with so many competetors- Dell, Lenovo, Compaq, Acer,VAIO. Programming is what I need and top of that after reading SO MANY bad reviews about Vista , it's hardware bankruptancy I decided on XP.

A Deadly Danger Averted:
....begin...
It was Sunday and was my first working "weekend" after I have come to the new project. Only the day before Teja had told me about his friend who would be coming to India and also that there are some real good discounts of 250$. From a week prior to this my search for the right configuration had begun with DELL being the ultimate winner. The reason being with the kind of configuration I need DELL turns out to be the lowest and in some cases I couldn't configure to what I want with others. The only glitch was this would take at least 3 weeks to come from the time it is ordered. Finally I had everything charted out and my initial configuration looked quite attractive and I still wasn't in i-hate-everything-about-vista mould.


  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • 2 GB RAM
  • Integrated Web Cam
  • 250 GB HDD
  • Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Blue cover with Wireless Logitech Mouse.
and everything else that comes by default totalling aroudn $1380 with discount of $350. That morning his friend was online and hurried me on to confirm my details as the supposed "discount" period was going to expire. We both were hooked with gtalk and the talks went on. Time was ticking by and the cab fella wasn't the usual either. I went over the list thrice with him and gave my assent assuring that within few days the money would be transferred and left for the office.


!!!!!Could have almost ruined my life..that's Teja for you !!!!!

It was not until the cab reached Infy building did it strike me WHAT the hell am I going to tell my dad? Oh, god he would make a minced meat of me with his plus/minus point comparisions. Though I had mailed my friends, cousins and all I know in US for any "prospects" I haven't received any response. I mean I just struck out my first deal. That as far as dad is concerned i am dead. On top of that anti-Vista feelings have started to sink in. So I called up Chitti for his thoughts and I found out that everything was not that bad as the supposed discounts I might get around Christmas would be give or take 30$. I calmed a little.

Trrrrrrrrrrrrr... goes my phone and I was glad it was Mr.Ranganayakulu on the phone. Before I could really pour my heart out and ask him to hold the deal back I learnt that discount was pfff and that the next time it would come he would let me know. This my friends is what they call blessing in disguise or better still "Luck favors the brave " ( very very inappropriate .. i know..).

...ends here...

Holy Crap!!! What the hell was I thinking? Vista??? I mean....Vista?? Was I nuts or what after seeing how bad the perfomance is with Hari bearing the witness and a 20 GB of disk wastage for that chunky , non-impressive software?? Damn, how close I was in committing yet another grave mistake and man I don't know how much further I could have tolerated...

To be continued...

No comments: