Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bowel Shaking Moments

Were there not moments when there came a thing that shook your foundations completely and left you befuddled for a while?

Yesterday was one of those days. Well after Paresh (our ex-mentor and one of those rare gems with abundant talent and dedication) put in place MVC architecture for our erstwhile M&E Dashboard , I never really thought there could be another way of doing it. And sometimes it was pretty hard considering I wasn't able to replicate the connection string and also wasn't able to get the classes for objects that made it easier for updating/deleting records. We were very much dependent on the source code generator that Paresh had brought along. Will link up the link in coming times :)..

Yesterday when I saw this it felt as if someone gouged a 5 shot tequila down my throat. Woah..too much to take in I tell ya. I almost jumped out of my seat reading it. If it was SO DAMN easy to establish a MVC architecture then how come it didn't cross our minds AT ALL? And well so began my R&D ** after a very very long hiatus(1 and a half month AT least) and a voluntary break from my nonsensical routine I set out my first task: Binding Images from DataBase to DataList entirely using Database operations.

And for that this seemed just the kind of appetizer I needed to set the things right. But my task wasn't as easy as I thought and after 2,3 days creating,deleting 2,3 projects from Visual Studio I wasn't yet able to get what I needed.This quest of mine surprised my RM too so much so that he goes on record saying : Asalu inta goranga nuvvu SMART ku eppudaina kastapaddava? ...Snippets like that encourages me to not to lose hope.

But the sad part of the whole saga is typed DataSet creates more problems than solutions and though it helps in making our work easier not remembering column names and checking their spellings in terms of changes in Database this is just not adaptable and I figured someother ways to do it and now the application looks sturdy.

Yet, it proved that I am still receptive to such gyaan and capable of taking in much more. .Net never ever fails to amaze me...

**- R&D is quite an interesting term coined by Julie (my ex-RM) for all the work we put in googling for something, trying it out in our applications and making sure the desired requirement is met. One such was having a Delete ImageButton in the GridView and it took me SO much time to get it done. But yes that was when I have first heard the term from her on the teleconference (we had no other way of contacting her then other than that mode) and it stuck with me and started making perfect sense. Uptil then R&D always meant to be associated with PHD's... and now it feel kinda cool to say 'it will at least 5 days for R&D'.

I presume this lingo is not universal as Mahider had a huge grin on his face hearing it from me to the reply I gave to Sunil...so listen up folks if you got something to google, something to copy paste,something to try and you want to tell your pm about it start using R&D..got it?


No comments: