Sunday, August 21, 2011

Shooting has Begun!

After years of appearing unfazed and quite happily shrugging it off as a nice family joke where everybody has fun asking questions like "when, why so long, shall we start searching now, people are asking etc." the time has now come to get to the reality. This has been a post in making for almost months together now but never materialized just because I never though I would go on bride-hunt and the whole process looked very cheesy to me. The time now has come to be part of it and its proving to be much more entertaining and adventurous than I thought. Before I proceed to it I just want to recap about how this renewed interest has first begun.

Around a month back I had almost 2 hour long discussion with Mote on Skype. This was our third skype conversation and the last one during my stay at Paris. He is one guy whom I have lot of faith in and look forward to his opinions and thinking. For this particular time I poured my heart out about my thoughts on marriage. Marriage for me has always been knowing someone through months or years, understanding their likes and dislikes, and then finally tying the knot. What I really want is to get married by falling in love. If every step of your life all you do is select, why is it that when it comes to marriage you go by the traditional way of hunting a bride purely based on looks, weight, height etc. I always stuck by this reasoning. On top of that how compatible am I to accept someone , a complete stranger into the life I have set for myself.

I have been leading wonderful life so far in the last 4 and a half years since my job has begun. I thoroughly enjoyed my bachelor's life hanging out with friends, roaming around, spending lot of empty time doing nothing, downloading movies, reading books endlessly on weekends, just sleeping, not tiding the room, having binge parties on the weekend so and so forth. As the last year started ending I realized much of fun has come down and quite frankly life started becoming boring as most of folks have spread out and it wasn't that great. I started going alone to movies, started spending time all alone by myself.

This was exactly what Mote had told me. Same life cannot come back and that one has to move on. This is what maturity is all about. It doesn't mean that marriage life cannot bring back the fun with friends, it is just that life has to go on. Moreover looking around be it Chitti, Niks, Nikmo, Venky all have some or the other criteria stopping them from taking the marriage step. I had nothing in the pipeline. So what was it holding me back?

I couldn't come up with proper answer except that by next year( which was how I had planned to start of my bride hunt) I wanted to reduce at least 5 kilos and make myself fit. I know it was foolish thing to keep but reality is easier said than done. So there was nothing really stopping me and I am not looking at Post Graduation anytime soon. He again advised me to think it over and start taking steps. Finding right person requires right amount of energy and time to be spent.

We then ended the call and all the remaining days marriage thoughts weren't on my mind. The topic again took a solid shape with my recent meeting with the other alter-ego Nikhil. Nikhil, Rajavardhan and me had a nice dinner at Cafe Bahar relishing on the mouth watering kebabs and chicken biryani. Just wanting to catch their opinion I brought the subject of marriage.

Deja vu, they exactly said what Nikmo, my mom, my dad, my uncle had said -"What exactly are you waiting for? you don't have any plans yet, why don't you at least start searching?". That is when I made my decision to start the hunt. What am I losing anyway but instead would be gaining much needed distraction and engagement from my current kind of stressful life.

I came back to home and told my mom that I was ready and that they can start putting the word out to people. As expected mom got all excited and went on telling about getting the gothram done, this done that done. Since there was a huge function gathering next day in order to avoid embarrassment of people checking me out and telling me "Finally we heard you are ready" 20-30 times, I told them to broach the subject up till September 1st.

Until then I have started my own bit. Read on to the sequel,

No comments: