Saturday, September 20, 2014

Maya and thereafter..Part I

Hello Maya..

Finally you are here my sweet love. I don't have the words to express you but to say that 'you are beautiful' is an understatement of epic proportions.

Before I go on to how you came to be let's rewind a little and dwell on the last few days before the D-Day.

Few Days Before-

12th September - That was Amma's last working day. I did manage to come early that day to find everyone in the house was busy packing. Your Dadi was clearing her cupboard in installments. She had sent almost 2 huge boxes of clothes to the Nallakunta house and the last and final packing was getting done. Coming to Amma, though initial batch was sent, it looked as if nothing was sent. I mean to say her cupboard is like Magician's hat, there are always somethings left even if you have pulled the rabbit out of the hat.

Your Dadi again brought her favorite topic back to the table - my forgetfulness. She is fully prepared to buy a small jhoola. The vision she has in mind is to see you come running to open the door, take all the things like specs, wallet, phone etc and keep it in the jhoola. This one sounds simple enough right? The follow up is even more creative. As my office time nears, you would be running round the house searching for my things and bringing them to me one by one as I reel it off like say

'Maya..bring me my specs',
'Maya..bring me my wallet'

so on and forth. The bottom line is simple my sweet love. On weekly basis at least 2-3 days I spend on searching for things just as I am about to leave to office, which they have aptly 'everytime-last-minute-lo-edo-okati-etukutav' moment. It frustrates Amma to no end and we did have fights on it which always somehow end up with me apologizing even though the shouting was uncalled for. Anyway by Saturday afternoon lunch time Amma and I came to Avva's house, not before doing some mild shopping.

Amma a day before had spoken with her friend Anu Preeti who had her child a week back. She jotted down and made a nice little checklist of all the things to keep ready for both the baby and herself. Time and again she proved herself to be the most efficient and exceptionally best when it comes to the matters at home. As I might have told you before, right from the start of pregnancy she has been the one who had collated all the reports, made note of doctor appointments, found alternative location in case the doctor wasn't there. In short she was the one in charge throughout. Never once has she missed the diet schedule (of course with alterations) or the medicines. I really admire this remarkable quality of her and something I cherish and bring pride to be her husband.

So with that list in hand, we went to Mom & Me store in Hitech City to do the first shopping for you. Things we had to buy were - two rompers, baby lotion, baby shower gel, wet tissues, baby powder. Going in to the shop I felt it was a whole new world yet to be explored. Mom & Me baby store is store equivalent to HomeCenter shop for furniture. Every thing there is just perfect to be bought and kept at home. They are so darn tempting but expensive too. With list being limited we bought the things we need and I sure did take one pic to christen your first buy -

 
First baby product/accessories

Seeing the McD at the basement Amma got tempted to buy PiriPiri (french fries coated with some masala), a favorite of her to which I couldn't oblige. Thing is as per doctor, she needed to be on control till the very end but when she kept that cute little face like a baby when she asked me, I couldn't say no. I was happy inside though that she is mindful of it to an extent that she asked permission to buy. Technically speaking these weren't the first buys though. Your Jeyjayya had already got nice bunch of langoti's ready for you. Langoti's, you can say are Indian diapers. Its an accessory we had much before any guy who invented diaper. Generations together this was a standard item that was used to wrap you up to keep you preventing from going to susu or poo poo.

Langoti's as is the case now wasn't available ready made when we were young. The process involved in first finding out the person who are used to wearing pattu panchas (usually elderly persons like thatha, jeyjeyya etc.) Soak them and get them to dry. Send these to the local tailors who then uses his imagination and skills in transforming them to 4/5 langotis (depending on pancha size) which fits to any baby of any size. Its wonderful really this tiny little invention. Greatest advantage of using these apart from re-usability is your skin is forever protected and there is never any case of rashes getting formed, which is the case with modern-day 'diapers'.

It was used during my childhood days, my father's childhood days and his father's childhood days. It goes all the way back and this was what was bothering me for some days as this essential million dollar armament was not yet ready. Your Jeyjeyya as always got things done in the background. The only difference now is it was gotten done by using a fresh cloth. Thing is no one wears pattu pancha anymore. They have gone out of fashion.

When Nanna did finally reveal it to us just the day before we were starting off to your Avva's house, Amma couldn't stop laughing and pointing at me, she added that she was fully relieved to have it as it seemed I was eating her head with non stop bickering about this piece of cloth not yet in place for the main event.

Traffic was unusually huge that day and it was very taxing by the time we reached Avva's place. All throughout the journey we kept thanking your Dadi's advice to drop the idea of your Amma coming back on that night and going back again following day. Gautam Bava (am not sure your relation to him yet) had thrown open a party to send off Amma and also as part of get together at a restaurant that same night. The place was decided as Sandwhicho's. I was eager to attend as this would be the last party for Amma before the delivery and also because we could get to meet Sowji akka, Gautham Bava, Ravi Bava. When we talked about this to Dadi earlier day, she wasn't happy about the plan. She gently adviced to rethink about the journey as making the trip from our place to Avva's place twice during that stage of pregnancy would make her very tired and that it is best to avoid so that she can have maximum rest. In the morning, we had accceeded to the advice and had to decided to quit and phoned Bava too that we weren't coming. That small journey from our place to Jubilee Hills checkpost, with that huge traffic reaffirmed that we took a proper and sound decision, all thanks to Dadi.

For the night on Amma's insistence that post delivery, she would be on kind of 'strict diet' regime, we had Biryani from Paradise bought restaurant. It was one of the most yummiest biryani's I had ever head and it was the very first time I was eating chicken in that house. It was to me at least an achievemnt of sorts. This 'one' last time translated to next day too when I took Amma to our house at Nallakunta. Dadi had wanted your Amma to see the recently shifted house at Nallakunta, which coincided with the lunch time. Another this-will-be-the-last-time I am going to eat out day finished and I went back to home ra kanna.

Back at home, I lied down on the bed. My thoughts were lost. The house looked so different with noone present and this would be the condition for at least 5 months ahead. Of course the real effect of that hadn't sunk in yet as I am yet to experience such marked departure for long time as 3 days later you were due to arrive.

The next 3 days were testing days for me as the workload at office was at peak. Our project was at a critical state and one day I had to overstay the whole night, which actually gave me some time in the morning to clean up and pack some things. I skipped the 17th big project party too, which if you remember I said earlier was one of the things that Amma was teasing me about, as that day the packing of my clothes, combined with clearing of fridge items, cleaning up the dhobi stuff, etc took me almost 7:30 P.M. to complete.

As we were adviced we finished off our food by 10 and hit the bed. I was bit tired from office work that day and the added journey but it was nothing compared to the next day. We both had one common concern in our mind for the past few days which was whether you are a boy or a girl. As the D-day's count down started ticking in, this thought occupied us more and more.

Anyways..it isn't over yet ..wait for more to come..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HI
WHEN EVER U ARE BUYING BABY PRODUCTS FOR THE FIRST TIME, GET THE SMALL ONES TO SEE THE REACTION OF THE BABY AND THEN U GO FOR THE BIG ONES. MORE THAN J&J TRY AVEENO... VERY GOOD. BUT ALWAYS TRY BEFORE U GO BUY IN BIG. ANOTHER THING DONT USE ANY CLOTHES WITH OUT WASHING FIRST... HOPING TO SEE MAYA SOON..