Saturday, September 20, 2014

Maya and thereafter..Part 2

THE D-DAY-

We reached the hospital by 6:30 sharp and the first good news that day was the room itself. We got the Deluxe room. It may not seem like a big deal but it really is. You see, this is one of the famous maternity hospitals in the city and room availability is not a gaurantee any given day. Only two weeks before one of her friends was looking for a deluxe room and due to unavailability and also because of her rapid contractions, she was asked to deliver in general ward, which we were told was really not that clean. Room booking is not an option as they keep that open for those patients who come and get admitted due to rapid contractions or more emergency options. So getting the room we wanted we checked in to the room. It was small room with attached bathroom. It contained two beds, one large bed whose one half can be lifted into shifting position by using a lever for the patiend, and a plain one for the attendent. It contained a old-modeled square shaped 7/7 inch shaped tiny TV, which I am sure you would not be able to find anywhere in any shops that you have seen so far in your life, in one top corner of the room affixed on a flat wooden base. There were two movable tables.

The first task for the day was to get a presentation scan done. Amma and me went to the first floor to get it done. This is to check your position for one last time to see if you turned or not. Apparently you have followed my path to the T and vehemently refused to spin. We came back to find your Dadi being there in the room all excited for the proceedings. Jeyjeyya train was delayed and he phone to say he may be delayed, with a note of sorrow that he wasn't there from the first.

Around 9:30 we were called to say that Operation Theater was ready. Amma and I started moving first with Dadi and Avva at the back and your Thatha at the last. Amma started to cry and as I turned to see your Avva too was crying. Dadi was tough and frankly I didn't see any need to cry. This was the moment we were all prepared and I for one felt one should go for it may be with sense of trepdation but never in a sad state. Poor Amma, I know these were tears of joy and tension but it should have been resevered for what to come next. As Amma went in, we were told it would be another 30 minutes or so after which the surgery would begin. Meantime she would be administered local anesthesia.

We were asked to be seated on the chairs that were lying on the other end of the corridor. I was bit tensed as we sat down. I had mentally prepared myself that I would be there in OT as the operation goes on be it for the normal delivery or for the C-section. I strongly believed I should be there as a moral support and as to encourage Amma during this pivotal moment of our life to see our first new born. In my mind though, I wasn't sure if I could withstand any signs of blood during that time of surgery. I just go week in the knees if I see blood. Just to illustrate how weak I am, I remember one time during the office hours, something had resulted in me getting a gash on my finger, which led to some blood oozing out of it. I had gone to our office clinic to block the wound. Just seeing it and smelling the blood caused some dizziness and I had to rest for 10 minutes before I went back to work. I knew I wasn't up for it but I didn't want to back down either. This being a C-section, I knew it may not be as messy as it is during normal but one never knows until one sees or experiences it. Amma too told me that I should be there inside and adviced me to have a seat in case I felt giddy. Lakshmi Avva too sent across the same advice.

Time was much past 10:00 and then a nurse came out looking out for us. Everyone wished me well as I went towards the OT. As I proceeded to remove my slippers, nurse told me that she had come to tell me that it would be delayed some more time as there was another emergency patient to which doctor is currently attending to. I went back little disappointed with added anxiety and tension. Jeyjeyya too landed up just then. He was all smiles and gave me a reassuring hug and told me to relax. It was 45 agonizing minutes later I was finally called.Frankly for some reason I thought you would be boy maybe because some of her friends delivered boys in succession during the same month.

I went in. Firstly I was asked to wash both my hands fully and have it dried. They then gave me a surgical mask to put on, a headcap to cover the hair and was given some sanitized clothes to put on, a pair of floaters to put on. I was then taken in to OT where there were already 3 to 4 people operating on the bottom half of your Amma. Amma was lying on the bed with upper half of body covered with sheet followed by a cloth that was being strung from the top vertically so at to block the view for Amma and the other half was where the operation was being done. There was a stool arranged for me to sit which was positioned near Amma's head. She was awake and had a oxygen mask on but was able to speak. She was happy to see me and she held my hand. I was giving some commentary on what was happening.

The moment of truth arrived. The whole wait over the last ten months was about to end and this was what we have all been waiting for. As I turned to look the other side, I could see the doctor slowly pulling you out. I had expected a straight pull but there was quite bit of twist and turns before you were finally lifted out. The doctor who performed this lifted you up in her hands and proclaimed - "Amma, Samhitha meeku papa amma".

Amma had tears in her eyes and thanked the doctors and I too kissed her on the forehead and we both were extremely happy. You were taken out of the room for some cleaning and we could her some loud cries. I stayed there and I managed to get the message out to the whole wide world that I was a proud Nanna with the proclamation 'It's a girl!' to both the J-Gang, and the head of the families.

I was then asked to come out to brief on you that you were of weight 3.6Kgs, 40 cms tall. We were told that your sugar levels were to be monitored for a while considering mom had gestational diabetes just to ensure they aren't more or less than the expected levels. In addition to that Amma it seems was getting shifted to another room for some much needed rest.

Your first ever shot with Amma

With Nanna
I came back to say final good bye to Amma. You were then brought out to be shown to all the anxious grandparents waiting outside. Everybody was ecstasic and one by one took some nice pics. The one above was taken by your Jeyjeyya.

What followed was Avva and I stayed back in the room for the morning shift while Ammamma and Thata went back to home to be prepared for the night shift. Avva and I had some nice time in the afternoon with you exclusively as Amma wasn't yet brought into the room. That's how the day ended and it is one of the biggest moment of our lives to have you.


No comments: