Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Windows 10 Update - Not working as expected

Like all the geeky nerds out there the moment I saw the update stating Windows 10 is now available for everyone, I was eager to get mine. Obviously the very first step for that would be to go to Windows Update center and there it showed me I had some 140 security updates and 20 optional updates would need to be installed.

From my previous experiences I knew that these 145 would not be end of the story as there would be few others that would follow post that. After installing them there would be few more after that and so on. Depending on your luck this may be anywhere between 2 to 4 cycles. The last one took about 4 cycles for me. This is due to the fact that because of the very nature of Windows non-stop and continuous barrage of updates every now and then that it prompts on your pc, it becomes almost a compulsion to switch off the installation of Windows Update automatically. This leads to whole backlog of updates which in a case like such major upgrades it burdens us with it.

So I started out doing the update of about 1.4GB of it and it prompted me to restart. After restart cycle 2 began, this time around it was a moderate 650MB of update to be done.

This didn't actually go as smooth as I expected. Thing is when actual update starts, for over 15 minutes the green bar kept going but the status showed as 0KB, 0% progress which was frustrating to say the least. So I had to google how to goddarn fix the update. What I found literally blew my mind away. It seems one needs to ignore the 0 thingy because it indeed is happening and it's kind of a known bug. I mean come on, a bug in Windows Update screen? Satya Nadella are you listening? True to the blog that I read, after almost 40 odd minutes it then began showing some progress and % too started ticking. Finally after all that Windows Upgrade icon was still not showing up.

With a sigh, I realized I have a long road ahead battling this demon. Opened the ever faithful chrome and started typing out 'Windows 10 Upgrade Icon' and I could see by the time I had typed 'Upg' the query was ready to be fired. Went to Stack Exchange link - http://superuser.com/questions/922441/why-don-t-i-have-the-get-windows-10-icon

Basically the main pre-requisite is your system has to be legit and not one of those RTM versions. If it's a Windows 8, it should have been upgraded to Windows 8.1. On top of that all the required updates need to be installed on the laptop. Check and double check.

Then it listed out lot of tech mumbo-jumbo of running a script that after running for about 30 odd minutes and to see if it shows 'Succeeded'. I followed it to the 'T' but no luck. Oh by the way I must have done reboot at least 10 times because you know just in case as each and every attempt I tried, this was one of the steps mentioned in it.

Before I get judged as someone who just didn't do enough ploughing through google, let me tell you I have done lot more than that. I mean I validated and checked that my licence is genuine because you know that ain't easy to do. Second step was finding out if my copy was a RETAIL, BUSINESS or VOLUME based licensing. If it is VOLUME based then it seems it wouldn't work.

For this day I had planned to do (a) An hour on Data Modeling (b) Blogging (c) Fill my Iphone Music (d) Scour the venue for party (e) Watch Hunterrr and as an after thought (f) Install Windows 10 (I kidded myself to believe this would take about an hour)

All I could accomplish after almost 4-5 hrs of painful wait, retries etc were (b) and (e). (f) is still in progress and I guess this is how it's gonna be at least for a month or more.

Worst day and Microsoft yet again proved how shitty they are in their product releases. Screw You!

No comments: