Monday, December 30, 2019

Kar Runs a Half Marathon...Almost

Kar Runs for Marathon was the blog title I had in mind when the series "Kar Chronicles" had begun. The chronicles were taking up the whole space of the blog and going through the other blogs about various people who have been running or walking (read in about.com) I also wanted a separate one but was too lazy to do.

To all my fans of the blog who were wondering about my lack of posts, monsoon is to be blamed. Rain has led to lot of puddles in the ground and running track wasn't just smooth enough. Sometimes the downpour was more making it impossible to jog without pausing for every 3-4 strides. The only alternative is to walk and that just isn't my cup of tea. I tried for a week or two by going out to jog when it stopped raining but with the intermittent breaks I just lost the steam. So I stayed at home, got up in the mornings and continued my exercise routine starting with Surya Namaskaras and ending with Skipping exercise of 5 minutes.

Anyways, after coming back from Shimla Manali tour, (a blog post is in the making) I had 5 days left to run for the Marathon which was scheduled for today i.e. 26th Aug. Rains too weren't that bad and so I began my daily routine of 2  Km's followed by stretching exercises.

How it started -

The marathon began at 6:00 A.M. today from Necklace road. This being my first marathon ever that I am participating, I wanted to be there by 5:30 and feel the pulse of the crowd - the cheering, the oohs, the aahs, and then going out with bang. Too bad, I could only make it to the venue by 6:05. All the roads leading to the starting point were cordoned off and barricaded at the main junctions. Just near the Eat Street, a podium was set up extending from one half of the incoming road to the other half on the other side of the outgoing road over the divider. On either sides of the road with podium in the middle there were huge banners of the marathon were set up. Balloons were hanging on the sides of the banner. The podium was barren and there were people unscrewing the setup and taking down things.

I saw lot of college going guys and girls with kits at the back, getting their snaps taken with the professional photographer who had come to cover the event, all jumping together once, huddling together and looked like they definitely were not here for running. Then I saw some group of people all dressed in black collared T-Shirts with red borders on the sleeves sitting on the divider just in front of podium, some standing and just talking animatedly among themselves. I wasn't sure whom to approach to find out if there was any formality left.

On inquiring I came to know I just had to begin my running and that's about it. As I began my run, 

No comments: