Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Chrome Gets a App store!


Woah...I come to office, logon to Reader and what do I see? Google Chrome store is up and running. Yeah! This is just so freaking awesome. This might be just a teaser to the real thing that Google have been up to since this February's announcement of Chrome OS.

My first impressions -
  • Not many apps
  • Can't browse through apps on first page of the sections like 'Featured', 'Popular' without using 'All'. Again this probably is due to not many apps being there
  • No Categories under the Themes! That's ridiculous and absolutely unacceptable. I mean, at least they should be bear minimum - Most downloaded, Top Rated, Editor's pick etc should be there under each one.
That's about it for now. What I fail to understand is why is it that Google never seem to reach the level of sophistication and the richness of look and feel that Apple does. Be it the Android marketplace or this one, it feels as if this is akin to comparison of Linux vs Windows (or again Apple :)). With such great capabilities of utilising Adobe Flash/Flex Google should be going great but instead what we see are sub-standard apps and not much variety as Apple does.

Android, the so-called greatest competitor to Apple, sadly hasn't caught on any great feelings as I have for apple. Neither do I see any major websites poublishing the best apps for Android week on week or Day to Day. Every major company I look either in books, mags, or newspaper proudly claim to be part of Apple. Only few are on Android.

I really hope days from now this scenario would change and let this competetion benefit all rather than one community.

Again coming back to Chrome apps, New York Times has just blown me away with their app..Here is the look and feel of it - Just mind blowing!




No comments: