Saturday, February 26, 2011

First Best Chicken Curry

Simple ...easy..Chicken Curry

Technically this is my second chicken curry. The first time I made it was in Bangalore. The only witness to the taste and make of the curry was Mr.Manyam Tej and myself. So not many can vouch for it and I doubt Manyam would give favorable review. Also I wasn't that satisfied with the output. It was slightly over burnt as the pieces were too large. Of course, the recipe again was from my mom. :)

This time around , in Paris, I got the chance to put into full force my culinary skills along with the super expert guidance of my mom. The result to say the least is super duper delicious..Just goes yummmmm......

Actually we were limited by so many factors, no ginger garlic paste, no cooker, no lemon which are considered essential ingredients. But I have realized moms are the greatest when it comes to do cooking with anything at their disposal. All you need to do is, for future reference, call your mom list out the ingredients you have, the time constraints, the cutlery, and they will tell you what to do in a jiffy.

Ok, here goes the recipe as given by mom 'word to word' (with slight alteration in formatting) -

Note: Steps 11 and 12 ought to be performed in sequence after Step 5. I had forgotten it.

****************************
Hi kar,

Since you don't have the basic ginger garlic paste the curry may not taste great. If possible get some garlic and ginger,lemon,tomatoes from the mall. In my language basic ingredients are onions,garlic,ginger,lemons, you must have them for your non veg curries.

Ok do the following as soon as you reach the house.
  1. First take out the chicken frm fridge and keep it outside.
  2. You finely chop 2-3 onions.
  3. Add oil in a frying pan-5-6 spoons,
  4. Add 6-8 menthulu,avalu,jeera and if you have pepper add crushed 7-8 of them
  5. After they splutter add the finely chopped onions, fry them till they bit brown. remember this forms the gravy. So you can add more or less,
  6. After 7-8 min of frying add turmeric,chilly powder and then the chopped chicken pieces.
  7. Fry for sometime and then add little water , not a lot . Keep it cover for 15 minutes.
  8. Then once it is 3/4 cooked, taste the gravy.
  9. If you feel it is little sappaga (bland) then add some red chilly powder. Now you add that briyani powder one and half spoon.
  10. Then let it simmer for another 15minutes.
  11. In case you get ginger and garlic then just crush 3-4 pods of garlic and a small bit of ginger crushed. You add them when onions are fried along with chilly powder. In the end squeeze lemon.
  12. If you get tomatoes then you can add after frying onions and before adding red chillies, (if you don't get those don't worry).
  13. You can add little bit of cobara podi (its a powder mixture of dry coconut, salt, chilli powder, heated in oil) which I have sent. It may give some good flavour, add that when chicken is 3/4 cooked

ok bye
amma

*********************

My Sweetest and most lovable mom :)

Ingredients -

Chicken - 500gms
Onions - 4 Finely Chopped
Tomatoes - 2
Avalu - 1/2 Spoon
Jilakara - 1 Spoon
Chilli Powder - 1 1/2 Spoon
Biryani Powder - 1 1/2 Spoon
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 Spoon

Even after such nice and details explanations I screwed it up. Here are the mistakes I did. Problem is I read these instructions 1 by 1. Fact of the matter is I did have tomatoes, paste of ginger and garlic (freshly made by yours truly by crushing and grinding them hard putting them under a flat surface , smashing them with a ladle) but did not use them. I had nicely cut onions, ginger-garlic, tomatoes and had them ready. I kept doing as it was specified in the above steps only to realize that sequence had broken and somewhere I lost the track. Anyways the final output has come excellent and we finished the whole gravy in just half an hour watching the wonderful movie - 'Ala Modalaindi'.

I am now very much confident of making this curry again and much more delicious. I realized I had put too much water instead of good number of onions. The trick of the trade always is onions form the base of the gravy. It ought to be properly cooked. Until the next best curry..Ciao!

Here goes the photos -

Chicken..of course..
Cumin seeds, Jilakara
Ginger Garlic Human Made Paste...Sadly unused

Tomatoes..another unused by product
Onions..the most important ingredient of all

5 comments:

divya said...

Awesome Kartik.....So when do I get to eat the chicken curry???

NikVad said...

Happy cooking! Don't worry keep cooking you will learn from your mistakes.

BTW the new theme of the blog is fresh.. the old one sucked....

yossarain said...

@Divz- Thank you. The first thing I come back I will cook and send :D

@Niks- Ya man. That's true but trust me I got so sick of washing vessels now. Single Dal and Rice cooking takes up 3 vessels and then you gotta clean up all the things. Either ways I am quite excited to try out new things and get some cooking experience.

Coming to look of the blog, I loved the old blog and actually before I wanted to change I was looking something similar to it. The new one has lot of graphics. I actually wanted to change it once I reached the 100th post. I then delayed and more and more delayed until I finally made it before this post.

I feel posts should matter than the look.

Unknown said...

you guys have become great cook...i tasted Nikhil Mohan's chicken next it is your turn!!!

keep cooking...there is never little time to make awesome food!!

yossarain said...

@Laddoo- Yes, absolutely agreed. You know I get a chance to cook every alternative day. As safe side we have also brought some ready to eat curries, noodles, frozen parathas which can be easily made on any given day. Excepting once I never did that so far. I always want to cook something or the other with whatever is available. There is a post coming up on my culinary skills which can give you an idea of what all I did so far. You can actually feast them with your eyes, if you know what I mean.

Coming to the tasting, hmm, soon after the marriage if there are any 'plans' on coming here, I will definitely be cooking One whole four course meal for you both. Watch out!

P.S. Please don't mind me calling you laddoo. If you do then don't hesitate to tell me. I somehow can't bring myself to write Srujana. Your name is stuck as Laddoo and all your sweet affability is mixed in that word along with the college fondness. Hope I get to keep it. Wouldn't I?