Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Emoticons & Expressions - Lost in Translation?

Have we really lost the way to express our feelings through words without resorting to emoticons? Can't we derive simple pleasure of knowing the person's opinion and feelings behind their writing just by grasping their meaning? Why have all these smilies become so darn important all of a sudden?

[emoticons-thumb.gif]

I consciously try to ensure there are no emoticons in my posts. I have failed in it already as I recall now typing this that the post about the cooking had a smiley. Be it the comments, posts, chat, everywhere we come across this and inadvertently use. Limited usage is always good but over and above that it becomes really meaningless.

Apart from that I start seeing some posts that goes like these -

soooooooooo cuteeeeeeeeeee
awwwwwwwwwwww
schweeeeeeeeeetttttttt
yippieeeeeeeeeeeeeee

These are mostly seen on girl's posts. Not all the time of course. Even then can't we "stress" our feeling through quotes or LOVE something with caps? or simply with Capital letter?

Since this is all about the way the language is getting out of hand, another thing that I feel people can really start adopting is changing the way they chat especially sms style. Words like smthg, LFMAO, ROFL, and many other which I am not able recollect. Trust me folks, conversations become much more pleasurable when written in full. Very recently I had a conversation about this with Joe on the same topic. I mean not exactly about how we both agree upon this being bad or anything. It just came up in our discussion. I am not able to recollect the context but ultimately his side of argument was that in sms what he typed was perfectly valid and that it was my lack of common sense making me not understand what he wanted to convey. Seriously, that was the time it struck to me to write this post.

Amit Verma has a wonderful take on the same subject and can be found here - link. Thanks to one of his posts /Jai Arjun's posts I realized exclamation is a single time occurrence of your shock or suprise. So there is absolutely no difference between writing once! or writing 10 times!!!!!! The latter if you look at with this small trivia I just said seems utterly waste and devoid of any sense, doesn't it?

I really hope people change and become more adept at making nice, meaningful way of expressing their feelings.

No comments: