Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Are we seeing an End of Piracy???

Before you even think of blowing my brains out by spilling 'LimeWire', e-donkey, u-Torrents and putting some gyaan in my innoncent mind I am talking about 'Tollywood' baby..yeah..tollywood..

Just as I was walking past Sangeet Music, Koti realising it is better to download than buy the songs there stood out 50*30 poster with Genelia and Vishnu in a cliched romantic pose facing each other and a huge circular stamp highlighting the rate 'Rs.25 CD/- , Rs.35 DVD/-'. Holy Cow!!!!! Hearing that it was a movie that was worth seeing from the beginning of the year with strings of flops I was bit disappointed to have missed seeing it. Now with 25 bucks as the tag price I just barged into the shop took the cd, made sure it was sealed (it seeemed not one of them had a seal anyway...)paid the bill and got out. Then again I got a glimpse of the the other movies like 'Bommarillu', 'Nuvvu Vastanante Nenoddantana','Munna','Pokiri' all within the price range of 30-70 (VCD's that is...).

It was after I came home I realized this might just mean the end of piracy in telugu. I mean who in rightful mind would want to rent a movie (2o), buy two cd's (20) and get a copy (40 in total) when the m.r.p is some 20 above. You must be crazy to do that sort of thing. The pirce surely plays a lot in this danda. I am sure vcd business in telugu must have multiplied by at least 2 times since 1 year.

I remember the time when I decided I would never buy a VCD after seeing price tags like 220, 250. Things have changed , so have I.

Long Live Tollywoood!!!

No comments: