Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Extra Mile...

Proactiveness, delivering that extra bit than required...

That sums up my first ever appraisal history. We have done everything we could to deliver what was required. I always believed and still believe that without that extra mile there can be no progress, no real victory, no real achievement. It just doesn't make sense if that extra step is not taken.

Well it is now I see how difficult that is. In our course of events we are stuck with some problems which plague us for so long that we feel utterly butterly satisfactory and go on to get the job to completion. Our project is in desperate need of AJAX built into it but it has been postponed to no end. Similarily the reporting services threatens to replace all our 2 months odd work that we put in with its ludicrulously simply and extensive services that would give GridView a run for money with it's abilities.

These are just few of things that I remember. Every time Azeet asks " Are you doing anything new? Are you learning anything?" we are left with no answers because we have done nothing and it is always a stark reminder of the fact that what Paresh has left as a base we took off from there. This was my impression till Jash came by and earnestly asked me to tell him explain whatever there is to stored procedures.

I have learnt hell of a lot things before I pursued this from scratch and still there is that nagging feeling that I could have done more, could have done it better. May be that's why it is fully justified when she says what we all three lack is "PROACTIVENESS' and rated us accordingly. For a while I felt let down and cheated that "S" was not accorded and tried to make up mental defenses like we worked for a month continuosly without a break, cancelled my train ticket for a genuine reason, did everything we could on time, never once complained, never once said it can't be done , never once buckled and so on and so forth...

In spite of all that there is the question of "Proactiveness"..THAT IS the defining character...How we do? is left to us. Finally I would like to thank my RM Sudha for showing me what I lacked....

No comments: