Sunday, October 06, 2013

Dangers of Pass-By Date

Among many things I have been reading (a lot actually) be it on web, quora, twitter, zite, flipboard and so on, one of the comments in an article caught my attention. The commentator talks about the idleness and the complacency exhibited by millions of working Indians post marriage. I can just look at myself in the mirror and give a resounding stamp of approval for the theory.

I look around among my colleagues and friends its the same story. Excepting the times when someone looks for a job change, the zeal and the desire to excel and gain knowledge is sorely missing. This quest for knowledge need not be in one's own field. It also may be related to some other professional courses that one can take up like the hundreds of MOOC's that are available free of cost. With a baby thrown in after few years one can as well forget it. Doing one's work in a day itself will tire them out leaving not much scope for further development.

I am without a doubt in this dangerous zone and it's really scary. On top of that being part of support all I am able to help is in troubleshooting issues occurring in Prod and not adding any value to myself in terms of learning. As the Dev team keeps building components here I am languishing lethargically doing nothing of significance. It's as if my pass-by date is stuck on my forehead and having nothing new to bring to the table.

I have to set this right and I have to do it right now. I shudder to think if I leave my brain to rot and relish in this 9-7 lifestyle will be extinct by the next cycle. I have to start setting targets, giving presentations, learn new things and make this habitual.

"Don't take medical seats, your life will never set. You have to keep on reading and writing exams for ages together before you settle. Even then you would need to upgrade" This used to be my oft-repeated quote to many a post-intermediate folks. Thing is this basic motto extends to everyone. This kinda reminds of one of the recent advertisement for Kaun Banega Crorepati where a guy refuses to study further thinking all that was needed to learn was over only to find himself losing out entirely in his profession.

I pray I don't bccome that guy. The things I need to set out to accomplish would start with mastering of XQuery, SQL Server Replication, SQL Server MDX and the biggest of all - Hadoop with BigData.

Godspeed.

No comments: