Sunday, September 25, 2011

Turned 5

Today I complete my 5 years experience. Recollecting the post I had written quite long time back about the expectations and the pressures around, its starting to show the effects now. I have gained tremendous insights and had a great exposure in Paris, meeting different people, holding meetings, getting client rapport. Its been a great smooth ride so far. Appraisals this year around put me in the third place. I was little hurt as I believe I deserved a better rating for all the amount of hard work I had put in and the client appreciation I have received. Talking to Chandan on the same day I have got some rationale behind the concept. From management perspective they need to do justice for all and since I had been given an onsite opportunity, it was compensated in this manner. This is what I have gathered from good many people. I can't do anything either excepting that I believe I need to put in lot more effort for the upcoming year to have a speedy scale.

Turning 5

Coming to the matters at hand, I am not really happy with the way things are and it's high time I pick myself up and start taking my life and career seriously. I have always wanted to learn and master the SQL Server Analysis Services, that aspect of SQL server which deals with real intelligence. I am so looking forward to the next 2 weeks when things will heat up considerably and then we are forced to learn and master the technology to be able to meet the deliverable in this new heavy duty project release.One disturbing thing though is that I am being forced to work on SSIS and SQL big time as all our effort is still focused on the first stage of our data transfer that purely deals with this aspect. To make the matters worse, Chandan currently roped in on to our project is going to handle the aspects. I am happy that it helps the overall progress of the project but it bothers me a lot when not being in a position to take up the role myself.

Anyways its just a matter of time now when things will heat considerably and I will be treading on the SSAS once and for all. The larger picture of course is that I need to make myself as strongly proficient as possible and become self independent and to able to master and command all the aspects of SQL Server BI stack. This includes extensive reporting, cube building and MDX querying.

Deviating a little here, I absolutely hate the discussing the topic of salaries or colloquially speaking, remuneration with my colleagues or with anyone for that matter. With my close buddies, especially banda, hari, mote, venky, chitti it feels ok to tell. Again I only them if they ask and never ask in return. For me, what matters the most is my job and how I deal with it. There is one stand out here though - Venky (SwamiNaidu). More than just hearing and occasionally jabbing fun of my incremental progress as others do, this guy just rips the heart out with his candid assessment and makes you feel like a imbecile and stupid. Any other person I wouldn't bother but with this guy it feels like a wake-up call. He tells me on the face of it (over the phone) that I am doing worse than most people among my fellow class mates.

With marriage on the cards, this becomes even more relevant and if I don't do something, I might become just contended with the life and take it as it goes. Without taking names, I indeed feel really low and in the heart of hearts I want to really go out and get into the best leagues out there. I remember during my first shift I was desperately searching for a break and Accenture proved to be the only best thing I could hold on to. Of course, MS plans were also partly responsible. Now the reality is different, and this time around I wan to be the guy calling the shots, with at least 4 to 5 offers in hand and to chose and decide what I want to be in. For this to happen, among many things, I need to get focus and concentration, the kind of passionate learning I was doing during my initial stint at Satyam.

Turning 5 indeed has now hit this point hard and hope to achieve the great heights in future both for my life and my to-be wife. 

No comments: