Saturday, July 07, 2012

Kar and Car should go together - I

I have failed her today and I failed miserably. Today has been the limit and  I have broken her trust. I am feeling really bad and guilt is just breaking me apart.With utmost pain I realize car is one of the utmost priority in life after marriage. 


Bike and Me-


My bike has been my lifeline for over 5 years now and I never regretted one day. Of course I do often feel my choice of bike could have been better. Traffic doesn't really get on me and I love going for any distance just to hang out with friends, to catch a play, ride tricki, go out late in the nights. Riding is such a joyful feeling. Be it rain or sun, I never really bothered or complained about the distance, the seemingly endless waits at traffic jams, the dust etc. There were times when I rode my bike with only rear break working. The best parts are always when going out late in the night. It feels adventurous. 


There were good number of times when I had dropped in at Avva's place, Anu or I used to sneak out in the night to CreamStone, get our favorite ice-cream. Nikki was responsible to keep a watch and open the latch door quietly so as to not to disturb anyone. After ending the discussions around 12 or 1 in the night, I used to go back to my room. Sometimes, it used to be the movies that ended our nights and I always used to fall asleep during the second movie for which I only insist saying seeing one movie is not enough.

I have done quite extensive biking and I loved the moments.

Engaged and Thereafter - 

December 18th, was the day I got engaged to my darling, my love, my sweetheart Sammu. You can read more about it here. That was the starting of one of the most beautiful phases in my life. It was the "text-talk-talk-talk-text-talk-talk-talk-text" phase. The last text is for "Good night...muaahhh" message. The more I talked the more I got to know her and more I missed being with her. The days after engagement my life at work took a dramatic turn.

From being a zombie working late in the nights, fixing defects, building code, debugging the issues and sending out midnight feelers, I came to the state where I started leaving by 7 or 7:30 in the evening. Even in the office, messages never stopped, smileys were streaming in and out. Naresh,  my TL, sometimes used to take my phone, keep it aside and then start the meeting.

The work at the project was at its peak. The work at hand was like irresistible, the challenging deadline, the zeal to complete it much before time and with perfection- the kind of job that gives me some of the sweetest nights that fills me with abundant joy , satisfaction and more importantly the pride of having it done. It was only my true love that opened my doors to the joy beyond work. This was a phase where not many friends I knew were around me. From a guy who started living in the world where the soundless chants of "Work is Worship" went on and on, my love gave a new meaning, a new perspective towards life.

I started looking at work differently. Suddenly I realized the HUGE amount of time I was wasting going for tea breaks or having elaborate lunch or trying to do things that had good enough allocated time in zippy. For me the only thought on my mind was the idea to leave by 7. It was after that the real life began for me. Almost 3 days in a week I used to meet her. Sometimes I used to meet her during the lunch breaks too visiting the Inorbit Mall, which was just adjacent to her office. I met once to give my measurements for the suit for reception, during the time I had to alter my measurements and finally during the time I took the suit.

Most evenings I used to land up at her house and then we went out for dinners trying out at different restaurants. The weekends were like paradise as I had full fledged time with her. The weekdays were challenging and tough. It was almost 45 minutes drive from my office at Gachibowli to her place Domalguda.After picking her up and having dinner outside, I used to drop her at her place and then come back to Madhapur around 11:30 or 12 in the night. The bike as I said earlier was my lifeline without which I could have never done.

Sir, Bill episode - Part II - (Part I - here)

The greatest feat I would say during those days had been the times we set out to go for movie during week days. I can never forget the first of such movies - Journey. For some reason my bike wasn't in a proper working condition. I had to go to Prasad's by 7:30 P.M. and the show timing was 7:45 P.M. I took our general shuttle bus at 6:30 and then realized what an atrocious and agonizing torture it was with the traffic and the actual distance seen from a vehicle of this kind, something other than a bike could offer. I got down the bus near the Lakdi Ka Pul junction, took an auto on advice of my bus friends who also made sure I took a short cut road to the theater. I finally made it by 7:40, huffing and panting. Sweat was pouring through my skin and I was running from the parking lot to the entrance.

As I cleared the entrance screening, my searching eyes found her standing there with a shocked look in her eyes seeing my condition. Me, on the other hand, was brimming with happiness and did a mental victory lap dance in my mind for having made it in time. Before she had any chance to express, whatever loving feeling she had, I rushed to the ticket counter, took the tickets.

The joy of making it in time somehow wasn't as appealing to her as it had been to me. I got some sound advice on taking care not to do such things again and why on earth I had to run like that as if some building was on fire. Quickly apologizing we sat at our seats wading through the dark theater with the light from our cell guiding us. I always hate coming late to cinema as I love watching the small clips that they put.

This was a intense drama movie with some solid acting. The movie starts with a bus collision and we see passengers of both sides colliding with each other, heads smashing against the front seat, people getting dislodged from their seats and flying up, everything in slow motion. What follows is deconstructing the events that led to this. You have two story lines running with two different pairs. The rest of the movie is about getting to know the back stories. Both of them are heart touching, gritty and very well presented. I loved the story of the guy who works as small time laborer in a factory and his love story that blooms with the nurse. The actress who played the nurse has got to be one of the toughest women out there and did absolutely wonderful.



As the story reached the half-time, it was time for pop-corn. I got out, got in the line even though I had no money at all in the pockets. Zilch. I had also tried in vain attempt calling Chandan in a hope that he could transfer some money during the time I was coming in the auto. As I reached the counter, I told the sob story to her of how I have come to position 0. I profusely apologized to her and explained my tight purse position owing to the shopping and expenses incurred for marriage. She was angry, understandably but reasonable and fair. She assured me it wasn't a big deal. We went back to our seats and watched the rest of it. Though it was a very good movie, I felt the first of the first movies could have been set on a lighter note, something funny, something comic or an outright romance. Anyways once the movie finished, I dropped her at her home, made an apology again. This time she gently squeezed my hand, gave a nice fulsome smile and said "That's ok.". The smile made my day until the point I reached home.

Since I had no money I had phoned my mom who was at Hyderabad that time and was up late as she was having her golden time with her sister who had come from Australia. If the feelings of Sammu on knowing my money situation is to be compared with what I had to hear from my mom - Sammu's was like quick heat one experiences by touching something hot while mom's was like being made to stand on burning charcoal or rather sleep, which ever has a everlasting affect. Of course, I should have had a minimum decency to be loaded with some money but the way things were at hand, I hardly had time to go to loo, forget about coming down to cafeteria, waiting in line and drawing money from ATM. Things were happening too fast and money was dwindling too fast too than my normal limit of withdrawal.

Anyway this was a lesson well learnt. One the importance of having a bike and the need to carry money.

More to follow in part II...

No comments: