Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pushing the Rebel in Me


Being a rebel gives you an adrenaline kick isn't it? Hearing people say or ask you to do things that doesn't make sense or not meaningful and not having a say in it is a really irritating feeling. There is an urge to shout at top of my voice and make the other person understand the worthlessness of the task but I control myself. I am feeling all pumped up and want to fight till the end, till I get my justice. A rebel in the making of sorts.

Ever since the team has changed, I am still trying to get to know the new team. Its in the understanding phase where I am trying to guage others frequecies. I had two such incidents today.

From 11th to 13th of this month, there is an audit taking place in our project. Each of us have to follow certain things to make sure we are aligned with the Accenture norms such as no external mails to unofficial addresses such as gmail/yahoo etc, removal of unauthorized softwares, removal of non-official multimedia files such as songs, personal photos etc. One point that I was not in agreemeent was clean whiteboard policy. First off in this new office that we have moved into almost a year back, the workstations are eerily similar to setup at call centers. As soon as one enters a bay one can see parallel rows of workstations spaced equidistant from one end to other having a gap in the middle. At each workstation we have one small notice board at the back of our monitor and a white board beside it.

This white board is the point in question now. One of the TL's came today and starting giving instructions to everybody to wipe off everything on the whiteboard and to keep it clean. Pointing to one workstation, he started shouting "You see this, this should not be like this. This will effect the rating of our project and consequently our company for breaking one of the rules". It cheesed me off. That whiteboard he had pointed had some defect numbers, some squiggly notes, some reminder, all written in not so legible format. What the hell is wrong with it I don't understand? Are we supposed to learn how to write neatly taking some lessons? Why the hell should it be clean and neat? I don't get it. What's the purpose of having a whiteboard if not for writing?

After he left, my lead came to my desk and asked me to clean up my whiteboard. Very recently I had moved to this workstation, so what was on it was written by someone else. I wanted to leave it that way and voiced my protest. I was expecting a non sensical reply but he was bit rational. He told me anything non-project related should not be there. What bugged me though is what he said next, there shouldn't be any drawings on it.

I know 3 people in our project who are just splendid at drawing and many a times I just snoop in to their bays just to look at the drawing on the whiteboard. Is a creative expression of one's capability and it must have given them immense pleasure in having it there every day. Art is a magical tool. A regular boring workstation having a factory archaic setting can be transformed into a beautiful place to work at with such drawings or pin-ups. I can just imagine the pain they must have felt when being asked to just "clean-up". Why is it we are forced to stick to norms and anything divergent is treated as violation? The Gen-U generation are like antique pieces who don't even want to scratch any creative surface.

Part 2 of the gripe is with the objective setting for the upcoming year. Every year at this point of time we need to complete a form that details our objectives and targets that we plan to accomplish.

No comments: