Sunday, September 09, 2007

Costly Dump

For my future reference so as not to make these mistakes again I list out my three "costly" mistakes that I have made...

1. Fateful Triangle By Naom Chomsky



Naom Chomsky is one of the most celebrated and most-hated American for his outright views on the American unjust and ruthless policies. I have read some of his articles and was mighily impressed by his ideas. The entire middle east episode has been such a blur to me, even now I can't understand who started what and how it all began. This is a mammoth book that traces it origins way back to B.C's and starts to explain how all things have started spiralling out of control. But it was only when I bought the book and read the chapters I realized the abundance of material facts in it that are too hard to grasp. For instance, after reading some thirty pages of a particular chapter everything appears to be new again when I take it up for further reading.

The Stats:
Touched the book : 15 times
Read: 4 times
Flipped : 15 times
Read the backcover: - 15 times

Cost: Rs.600/-

Result: Ain't no regrets. Reason: Mummy paid for it :D

2. Bound Together: How Traders, Preachers, Adventurers, and Warriors Shaped Globalization


Written by Indian in a language that is so plebian I grabbed it by the spine and shelled the money across the counter. THE Beginning chapter was the end of my enthu that began right from the time I read the preface and initial few pages.

The Stats:
Touched the book : 5 - 10 times
Read: 1-3 times
Flipped : 3-10 times
Read the backcover: 10 times

Result: Lost 590 bucks. Making not-to-executed-notes on mind to read the book.

3. SONY ...drohi....


Walking back to my home from Jash's place I felt the urgent need to buy the ear phones as fast as possible. After knowing the staggering price of Rs.1600/- for the basic ear phone shipped along with IPod I thought I would settle for SONY. Once inside the Sony World, I browsed through the price tags and I saw the other kind i.e. in-hear headphones with price Rs.1600/- while the Apple's would have costed Rs.2600/-. And the basic ones with a nice hook style ear phones look was Rs.1300/-. With advantage of cheapness, and style in comparison to Apple I settled on 1300 one.

Result:
It doesn't fit properly in the ear. Quality of sound is nowhere , i mean NOWHERE near IPod headphones. Day by day...by day...by day... as I keep listening with those ear phones my tendancy to throw them in the bin as grows. It will be only a matter of time before I buy the 2600/- one.
Now I know why Apple products are worth the cost. It's simple : They ROCK and nothing comes closer.

Well that's all I will be upgrading the pics shortly. From the first two I have come to understand not to dabble in something that wouldn't last for long and which is not of my taste. I just can't read books about management stuff... period. With the last one, take friends along dammit, take someone else with you for purchasing electronic goods. God...you will repent it for long time later with the repurcussions.

Ahem!!!!!!!!!!That ends it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: