Thursday, September 20, 2007

Treading a precarious Path

Any discussion with my RM Sudha leaves me frustrated and exhausted as if I have just come back from years of travelling in desert. In discussion with Sachi yesterday while Sarita complained about her admant behavior, her thick-skinned nature and utter lack of sympathy I was thinking something else.

There is something about Sudha that I can't pin point. Everything about her is perfect and she demands responsibility and more than that pro-activeness which I mentioned earlier. And unlike Usha she comes straight to the point and wants no excuses at all which is good again.Look at the present situation.

Last week before she went on long leave that is from Tuesday, I prepeared a excel sheet for my week's activity according to which I had to have completed my installation of Visual Team Suite, THE only work that is left over for me to do and sadly which is a difficult one. The difficulty is in two stages: one with Installation (it has already taken three weeks) and the next one with regard to migration and actual working with Visual Team Suite studio. From my part I sent a mail to Sushma Nayak, N&S Level II. On Thursday I came to know from Sushma that there were no more challenges and that the installation will proceed now with SriLatha as Vinod(the original person to whom installation was handed) was on leave. On Friday I tried SriLatha for the progress and she wasn't picking up any calls, tried Sushma no response. Didn't do anything much.

But in those days the other work assigned that is the footer totals of main summary was taking lot of time. I put up the question at Forum, was waiting for response. I tried to get that on my own, was not working. So it was not as if I was lazing around happily. When I am not busy with main summary, I was doing other things for dashboard like role management or looking up for the reports.

Here is my mistake: Yesterday was only when I escalated the matter to Renji Jacob. I should have done that on Monday or Tuesday when I admit there was not much of work for me. So yesterday when called to the meeting I knew she was going to blast me and that's what had happened. It is also funny the way her voice modulates from being friendly to stern then brutal then friendly then something else. Well first she enquired about my new project, then she castigated me saying I take up no responsibility at all and that only because she has come I escalated the matter to Renji Jacob( which partly : 70% is true...). On the first word of defense about what has actually happened she cuts me off. I didn't have a chance to put my trump card that is the footer totals, that's totally obscure , I mean for her it's like getting it done in matter of an hour or so.

At the end came the bombshell she said she would take stern action and some drastic steps if by this Friday things remain same with no progress. As I was about to leave in a concerned tone she says try to get this fast and work full time at my new project. You see she is perfectly suited to dramas. Anyways getting this done by Friday looks highly improbable. With new project being in an outdated technology I would be happy being recalled. Happy but not satisfied and with a hangover feeling of incompetency and inability to finish off a job.

So coming back to the point of what is wrong with her...nothing she is the perfect RM anyone could ever have. She is someone like your old school teacher whom you would love to hate for no reason at all. These two days are going to be real tough..

Wait and watch for what happens next....

No comments: