Thursday, September 06, 2007

Elsevier to the rescue...Sad departures...I of 2

Chal chale... apne ghar...
Hai mere ham safar...
band darwaja kar...

If you sing along with the song something good is going to happen in whatever you are going to pursue. At least that's what has happened with us in any case. (Oy..by the way it's Sari's belief mind you...) Only day before yesterday we were humming the song when Sari warned we will be outta here just like the way Roop and Ranjan fled after having sung the song. It took two days for the jinx to break and come true..

The happy times, happy days are flooding in. We, the team, received a mail from Srikanth asking us to meet him at ITC-3 for .Net requirement for a project in Elsevier. We reached the place around 3 and we were in for a surprise. We were under the impression it was going to be a small talk about the need of single resource and tell us when the dates of interview are. But it happens it was a spot-evaluation kind of a thing. We all got seated in a discussion room and one by one was called for the 'interview'. Ranjit was the first to go. Sari and me in the meantime started discussing about what could be the possible questions. First thing that any guy would ask would be the life cycle of the page which sadly we were highly unprepared for. The whole thing was much too exciting for the fact that we were completely unaware of there being interview as we thought 3 might be needed and we will be readily picked and placed in the slot.

My mind raced back to engineering days where I used to get all the questions from the person who has just gone in, have a book ready preparing all I can , knowing what all were possible questions that could be asked in regard to my experiment. In the end I always used to fumble up at viva. Only those times when my fellow viva-mates weren't prepared to answer then I used to grab the limelight. I mean somehow I just fidget. I knew I might be producing a encore performance here. But sadly nature came calling by!!!!

By the time I came back Sari's turn was over and I was the one left absolutely clueless and a tad dissappointed with Nature's TIMING. Two guys were seated there, calm, casual. After the pleasentries came the million-dollar-unwanted-question:

Tell me about yourself??

For a while I thought I landed up in a interview cell about to get interviewed for my first job. Tell me about yourself?? I mean I understand there are two kinds of questions one at HR level and one at Tech. But common...they ain't recruiting people from college. Can't they be specific? I told them about almost one year stint at Satyam highlighting the latest working part. Finally they woke up!!!! Circus was out. Then things moved on to about my college, engineering backgroudn etc. There were some basic questions about .Net and SQL which I managed to answer excepting how the page life cycle works. After all this they told me the kind of job I would be in:

  • Afternoon shift : 2 to 9
  • Cab pickup and drop.
  • Night allowance.
  • Minimum commitment of a year.
So what happened next?? Read on 2 of 2 find out...

No comments: