Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Scars that hurt....

Our project badly needs a deadline. Ranjit's remark that Internal projects have no deadline scared the hell out of me. Man, I can't see myself doing the same piece of crap again and again. I am tired of this project. There are three more main stumbling blocks that are left of which "Gantt Chart" is something that is beyond my scope. I have no hopes at all about how I am going to get it done. The other two, with little more effort maybe , just MAY BE , we may wrap up by the week's end.



Kevin English is supposedly going to have a demo of our website if he has time that is. That has managed to put a little spark in us. I had a real bad episode today. After re-installation of SQL Server 2005 at the server we weren't able to get it working with our website. The whole thing looked perfect. We tried modifying it by using local authentication and it worked perfectly but we weren't able to get it out of the server, on the net that is. SQL Server authentication was just not working and we were managing with Windows authentication. As usual we could see Sudha grumbling about it in a manner that suggests we are one useless bunch of people who can't do anything correctly and in time. She asked us to get it working by next day.


Her Majesty had entered the scene and as is her wont went on excitedly about using Visual Studio Team Suite. It seems a license was ready and installation was left. That forced me to

Call 1: What is the status on the installation ?
Call 2: What are the server details?
Call 3: When is he expected back and the license details?

All the calls routed to one guy : Azeet who was really really busy at every call. It was at the third call he broke loose. He just blasted me over the phone " When I told you guys to uninstall VS, Uninstall SQL you won't do and all of a sudden you are after me to get VSTS installed? Don't disturb me from now onwards. " What did follow , to my surprise and disappointment, was he came on the messenger, raised a ticket for installation and then bid me farewell? Wil this be end of Azeet, the one guy we thought we could rely on as a Tech lead??

I mean anyone in his shoes would have reacted the same way. I was in a real tight situation and as my pappa always says "Life is full of surprises, when you want something forget all the other feelings". I did that. Sudha put me in a real tight spot. The irony of it all was we somehow managed to get back the authentication with SQL in other half an hour after this episode and the neeed of Team Suite just evoperated as it had come leaving me with a bad scar.

Well..started this blog for something else and landed up writing something else altogether...anyways added one more to the otherwise static blog :D

No comments: